11.10.2007

What a Beautiful Day!

Wow, this week absolutely flew by! I've noticed that the last couple of weeks have literally felt like they lasted only a couple of days. All week I thought that it was the day before it actually was. On Tuesday I thought it was Monday; on Wednesday I thought it was Tuesday.

On Thursday I wasn't sure exactly what day it was, all I knew was that it was the 8th. On Thursdays at 10:00 am we always have meetings for the OTW staff (of which I am one), so on Thursday morning at 9:55, when everyone was still in their offices, I went to one of my supervisors to ask if we were still having our meeting. She kindly informed me that it was, in fact, Friday. My boss came in to remind me that Monday was a holiday, and not to forget to sleep in. If he hadn't, I probably would've forgotten. What can I say? Time flies when you're having fun, or in my case up to your eye lashes with mid-nineteenth century ship research.

At work I have been doing all kinds of fun research. I'm working on ship paintings. Finding out where the ship was built, when, why, for who, by who. It's really fascinating, and I'm learning what all of the different flags mean, the types of sails, the difference between a yard and a gaff, a schooner and a brig, or a foremast and a mizzenmast. It's basically awesome.

This morning I woke up early and went with my friend Joyanna to the Shenendoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have never seen so many beautiful colors on trees. I took about a million pictures, but I still don't have a camera cord, so I can't put them on my computer yet, but I'm working on getting a hold of one.

I have never seen any country like that before, and the trees were absolutely amazing! There were reds, yellows, oranges, and greens. When the sun shone on the leaves it was amazing! We drove for about half an hour down Skyline Drive, which is alongside the Appalachian Trail. All of a sudden, what did we see? SNOW!!!!!! Yes, that's right, my first Blue Ridge Mountain snow! It was absolutely beautiful. The branches of the trees were covered with a fine fringe of snow, and the ground was covered with a light powder. It had started to get foggy, and it was as if I had stepped into a literal winter wonderland. I had to get out of the car and take pictures. I even took a short video of me in the snow! I'll post that too, as soon as I have that darn cord.

It was a lovely day. I'm now sitting with JoyAnna watching Miss Congeniality. It's great. What a lovely day! So, as soon as the movie is over, I'm going to go home and go to sleep, and sleep late. That's one of the benefits of Saturday night church. You can sleep in on Sunday morning, although I always feel like there's somewhere I should be on Sunday morning. Oh well. Y'all have a great day! Oh, and I can't wait to get home for Thanksgiving!!! I freakin' miss Texas!

1 comment:

Karlen said...

It sounds absolutely beautiful - even more than autumn in Colorado. I'm so glad you got to have this experience and that you are sharing your joy with the rest of us who are sweating in 90 degree weather in Austin TX on November 12! But we know that it will be cooler weather soon. Can't wait to see you next week - Hugs and Kisses;)