11.06.2007

A Weekend of High Culture

Boy have I been busy! I've been trying to see more of the sights in DC. On Friday I went to the Folger Shakespeare Theatre and saw a wonderful production of As You Like It. It was a play I had never read, so it was really fun, and the theatre was absolutely beautiful! I spent Saturday morning at Eastern Market where I got my produce for the week, then walked to CVS where I purchased a hefty amount of Febreeze to remedy the fact that the couches in my house smel like... well, just use your imagination. then I went to church with my friend Brad that night. It was a really good message. All of NCC's messages are available for free online at their website, or as a podcast on itunes. They're really awesome!

Sunday morning I slept in, which was great! In the afternoon I went to the Kennedy Performing Arts Center on the banks of the Potomac River to pick up my ticket to the ballet the next day. It was a gorgeous building, and to get there, I had to walk past the Watergate Hotel, which is huge!! It's a really retro building, which I took plenty of pictures of. I walked back to the Metro and rode it to The Mall where I met my friend Annie, who was visiting DC for a conference from A&M. We went to the National Gallery of Art, then went and had Mexican/Salvadorean food. Which was fantastic! Yippee for salsa and chips!

Monday I went to work and did mostly research on different kinds of ships from the mid-19th century. It's really interesting! I'm having a blast doing it. After work I came home to get dressed for the Ballet! The performance was wonderful! It was a mix of ballet and salsa moves with an Afro-Latin jazz band. It was great! I walked home in the rain, and I've never appreciated my long coat so much!

Today it was back to research at work. I'm adding a new collection of prints which were recently acquired by the museum to the gigantic collections database. I'm doing research on each one so that people two hundred years from now who are doing more research will have a lot more information than I did to start with. It's lots of work, but very interesting. Tomorrow there is a group of students coming in from American University to learn about the Maritime department. I'm supposed to help with that, so we'll see how that goes. I just got home and now one of my roommates and I are watching Jurassic Park. Probably one of the best films ever! Anyway, I love and miss y'all!!! I can't wait to come home for Thanksgiving! Really, I can't wait! Goodnight!

No comments: