11.12.2007

Another Wonderful Day

Thanks to the fact that Veterans' Day is a federal holiday, I didn't have to work today! Yippee for being a Federal employee! Needless to say, I slept in. I read for most of the day, which was cloudy and cold; the perfect 'curl up with a book' day.

In the afternoon I went with my friend, Laura, to get a hamburger (which was amazing!) at Five Guys in Chinatown, and then we went to go see Martian Child, a film with John & Joan Cusack. I absolutely love them! The fim was good, a little slow, but in the end good. It definitely wasn't the best thing I've ever seen. Let's just say it's a renter, not a movie theatre movie.

So, I know I promised you that I would put up pictures of life in DC. So, yesterday, I had quite an adventure trying to locate an electronics store where I could buy the right cord or a card reader. About a mile from my house I discovered a Radio Shack, so I was able to buy a memory card reader, and consequently I can now show you all of my pictures. Well, at least some of the good ones. So here goes. Be prepared for lots and lots of pictures!

Here are some pictures that I have taken in and around Capitol Hill.



This is my roommate Biz reading the newspaper on a Sunday morning. She's just precious!



This is across the street from my house.



This is my good friend Nathaniel Greene. I walk past him just about every day.










I walk through this tunnel of concrete arches to get to the Metro.




What is this strange building you ask? Perhaps an alien spaceship? Why no! It is, in fact, the Watergate Hotel, which I came upon quite by accident. It's not every day that you find a building with such a history.



This is the terrace of the Kennedy Performing Arts Center overlooking the Potomac River.



Another shot of the Potomac.




I walk in between these two pictures every day on my way to work. I'll miss that.



Degas anyone?



This is the mysterious door of mystery. I walk past this door all the time and for the life of me I can't figure it out. It's three feet off the ground, with no way to get to it, and no signs that there was ever a way to get to it. It's 2/3 the size of a normal door, yet is complete with a knob, lock, mail slot, and knocker! Is this someone's idea of a cruel joke? My inner anthropologist is just dying to know the story behind this door. But it may well be a history lost forever. Forever to be known as the "Mysterious Door of Mystery."






So those are the best of my pictures of Capitol Hill. I hope you like 'em! It is a beautiful neighborhood and very easy to photograph!

No comments: