10.11.2007

A Sudden Realization

So, I had a sudden realization. Not one of those "smack you in the face" sudden realizations. It was more like I suddenly realized something that I already knew. It happened a few hours ago as I was walking home from the pharmacy. It's cold out tonight, so I was wearing a coat and scarf. I left the store, and began my walk home down 7th street. As I walked, I passed cafes with names like Montmartre, Bread & Chocolate, and Murky Coffee. Each, despite the cold, was full of people wrapped tight in peacoats and jackets, enjoying croissants and hot chocolate. Their store fronts were decorated with pumpkins and fall leaves. It was then, as I walked down the sidewalk made of ancient red bricks, that I realized it.

I love this city.

It has taken me almost two weeks to discover how much I've come to enjoy life in the city. Sure, it comes with its drawbacks (a lack of grocery stores), but it's unlike any life I've ever known. This place is crowded with so many people, who have so many different stories. But it's not necessarily the people that made me fall in love with D.C. In fact, none of the people I've met here are as interesting to me as the city. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I haven't met any nice people, or even that I haven't made any friends. I have! I love all of my roommates, and co-workers. But the draw of the city is something completely new and different for me.

If you want to catch a glimpse of how I feel, go watch the Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie You've Got Mail. Watch the scene where Meg Ryan walks from her cute little row house to her adorable children's bookshop. The air is chilly and everything is decorated for the fall. She walks in and says that the fall always reminds her of sharpened pencils. Watch it, you'll understand. That's where I live. I walk that street every day!

That's kind of what I felt. Kinda. I'm not sure, but I do know that so far, I love it here. I'm still homesick, but it's ok.

Anyway, I'm going to sit and write a longer post tomorrow hopefully, because so much happened this week! For one thing, David & Kara came and visited me!!! It was awesome! But I'll save that for a later post, when I have time to sit and write for a while.

Well, I'm off to watch the Office with my roommates. Have a beautiful day!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

i'm SO glad to hear this! i was concerned that you wouldn't enjoy the whole internship just because you missed home. it makes me happy that you're happy there :)