10.07.2007

Soundtrack of the City

So, I have decided that each city has a sound. Not just the sound of the city streets that are so generic. It's more than police sirens, mumbling bums, and the rush of pigeon wings. It is so much more than just the amalgamation of simple noises. It is the feel of the city, the flavor, the vibe you get walking down its streets.

Each place that I have lived, even if only for a short time, has had a sound. Maybe it's just a feeling that I get in each place that speaks to my soul in a way that no city has ever spoken before.

Even within a city, there are different places that have different sounds. For example, each place that I have lived in College Station:

The Traditions (where I lived Freshman year) = (I'm actually ashamed to say this) White Tee by Dem Franchize Boyz
Crossing Place (Sophomore year) = Burn by Alkaline Trio
The Zone (Junior Year) = Anything by Jimmy Needham
Graceland (Senior Year) = Moon River, the instrumental version from the Breakfast at Tiffany's Soundtrack
Coffee Station = Wish For by Delaware

These songs aren't the only sounds from that place, but they represent the overall feel, its vibe. This summer at LT, the sound was Creedence Clearwater Revival or Johnny Cash.

But now for D.C. This is difficult. It's such a versatile place, that it's hard to pin down a single resonating sound for this city. It is so vibrant, yet peaceful, while at the same time constantly on the move. But I think I have figured it out.

The sound of this city is The Shins.

I've loved The Shins for several years now, but I have never been able to fully appreciate them until now. Their sound perfectly matches the streets of Capitol Hill. Listen to One by One All Day. Close your eyes and imagine walking down tree lined streets lined with row houses of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Breathe in the scent of the flowers and the warm trees. Now you know what I experience every day.

That is the sound of my city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fun :)
i love thinking about stuff like this

Rachel said...

you're so inspiring! I think I'm gonna have to download The Shins on to my iPod and listen to it on my way to work... I should've come up to visit you today - I was a little bored. Did you finish all of your projects?