10.02.2007

The Roommate Song

So one night last week, I got home super late, and everyone else was asleep. I wasn't tired enough to go to sleep, so instead, I wrote a song. I wrote the first four verses that night, and the rest I came up with during my midnight drive from Longview to Austin. I wanted to write them down before I forgot them. I basically took the chords and melody from a Decemberists song and changed all the words. Here goes:

Here in this little cow town,
Live four girls who are awesome.
It's their yarn I'm spinning.
Hold tight, it's just beginning.

The first is tall and fair,
With curly golden hair.
She loves the tales of old.
She's a wonder to behold.

And oh, my loves, my loves
And oh, my loves, my loves
We all live together.

The second is our entertainer,
And also our great painter.
She has amazing style,
And can always make me smile.

(chorus)

The next one is splendid,
And keeps our wounds well tended.
She has a gorgeous smile,
And daily runs a while.

(chorus)

And then, I guess there's me.
Well I'm going to D.C.
I'll miss these lovely girls.
They are as fine as pearls.

(chorus)

Let's not forget the boys.
They bring us so much joy.
They're over constantly.
It sucks to see them leave.

(chorus)

And, of course the parties we throw.
They do delight us so.
We don't charge entrance fees.
If we did we'd be rich as queens.

(chorus)

And there is this one thing,
This guitar on which I sing,
It always gets passed around,
and makes a gorgeous sound. (sometimes)

(chorus)

Oh, yes we're all single.
Just in case you want to mingle.
But there is one catch.
All the roommates must approve the match.

(chorus)
(chorus)

No comments: