12.11.2007

Sniff Sniff

It’s a sad day for me. I only have two more days left here at the museum. Well, one and a half now, considering it’s already noon. I’m going to miss so much about this job. It’s amazing! I have been able to do so many amazing things here.
One of my roommates came to work with me this morning, since her internship is over. I gave her a mini-tour around the areas of the museum that I have worked in. I was able to show her my office and my desk which is completely covered in books and files and papers.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I could definitely have used a filing cabinet while I was here. It would have saved me a lot of sticky notes. As it is, I have about ten different piles of stuff on my desk, all neatly labeled with sticky notes, some of which change every day.

Whenever there’s a lull in between my various projects, I just grab a book off my desk, open it up, and start reading. This way I’m always entertained. The books are all maritime related. The Art of Rigging by George Biddlecombe, America’s Maritime Heritage, Africa Squadron, The Slave Ship Fredensborg, Women Sailors & Sailors’ Women, Villains of All Nations, The Many-Headed Hydra, The Atlantic Slave Trade, The Pirates. Needless to say, I’ve become a huge ship nerd.

The other day I was trying to come up with a list of all of the jobs I have performed since I’ve been here. It was actually a pretty long and varied list. For example: I researched petroleum byproducts and their uses. I came up with a list of over 90 everyday objects that contain petroleum in some form or another for an exhibit case in a new exhibit, to show just how much we rely on oil to accomplish tasks in our every day lives. I researched the Bryant family who, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries ran a showboat that sailed up and down the Ohio river. I learned about Mississippi River pilots who guide their barges up and down the ever-changing waters of the Mississippi. I wrote bibliographies. I researched 54 different 18th and 19th century ships, including blackwall frigates, tea clippers, passenger ships, racing yachts, US Navy ships-of-the-line, privateers, and gunboats. And that’s only some of the stuff that I’ve done!

I’m now completely spoiled to a life of academia. What will I do when I have to go back to the real world? Oh well, it won’t be too terrible. I’m excited about my classes next semester. I’m taking 20th century drama, 19th century England, and 19th to 21st century English literature, as well as a crumby math class, an over analytical anthropological writing class, and self defense. At least three of them will be enjoyable.

In about half an hour the museum is hosting a Christmas party for everyone, and I’m sure that I’ll gorge myself on delicious baked goods and holiday treats. Yum…
Don’t assume from my earlier writing that I’m not excited to come back to Texas. I definitely am. When I came home for Thanksgiving, I was so excited that I actually teared up a little on the plane. What the heck am I going to do when I’m coming home for good? I’ll probably cry as soon as I leave the tarmac! Goodness gracious. Anyway, I can’t wait!

So here’s a big hug from me!!!! See ya soon!

No comments: